How I stole a child’s childhood:


He played along. All of 8 years, he found things to play in everything he did. He jumped over the stones in the ground, smiling and laughing as he rushed from person to person. Singing to himself, he spun round as the wind struck him, as if the wind was playing games with him. I watched him with amazement, wondering how little it took for a life to be happy. His tattered clothes did not matter and maybe he did not even remember his hunger. I watched him, jealous, anxious and with a smile on my face. How lucky you are, I thought, to have found happiness.

And then.....crash!!!


He had broken a glass. And the glass cost him a tight slap on the cheek. As the tea stall owner admonished him and the cheer faded to dark tears in his eyes, I realised what I had done. I had stolen the child’s childhood. I had robbed him of his happiness. I was responsible to make him snap out of his happy playful gait and be brought back to stark reality. I was part of this insensitive crowd, this shameless group of people who stood and watched helplessly as the kid cried. And still, people demanded tea. The kid, crying, took the tattered plastic tray, placed the hot glasses of tea on it and went out, shouting, “Chai...chaiiiii”.

I watched the frail, shabby creature with amazement. I wondered how stupid we are. All of us. We in our branded clothing, we with our English and our smartphones. How useless we are! We with our dreams of early retirement, we with our never ending wishes and high hopes, we with our so much and yet with nothing at all. That kid had nothing but yet so much. No hope and bare minimum wishes. And yet he was happy. Until, a glass with hardly two rupees had stolen his hope and broken his dream.

As I stood there with the other shameless creatures, enjoying their snacks and tea, I felt so ashamed. Every child, no matter how rich or poor, has this inherent wish to play. Happiness comes naturally to them. And we condition them to lose out on their instincts. We condition them to become one of us, sad, competent, angry, depressed and jealous. What was the child’s fault? The tea stall owner would not have lost a lot in the two rupees. Had a customer broken the cup, he would not even have uttered a word. But what he could not fathom was the child’s “carelessness”. Don’t you think the tea stall owner was just jealous at the child’s happiness? Don’t you think, everyone there was jealous? And the world went back to normal when the child was admonished, brought back into our sad, frustrated world. Now that he was crying, everyone could go back to their normal and everyday lives. This is us!

It is some food for thought tough. For me at least. I did not realise this when I was watching the kid play. There was a smile on my face, a smile of shared happiness at the child’s play. But maybe deep inside, I was angry with the kid for being happy. How could he be happy when I was so unhappy with my boss? Maybe I was just hoping, the child’s happiness would end soon. Somehow, it did not fit into this world. If someone can be happy, he has to have material things with him that are supposed to make him happy. How can anyone be happy playing with the wind? It just DID NOT fit in. And when it all ended, I stood there, finishing my glass of tea, happy deep inside that now the world could be fine. But, in the process, I had stolen something which can never be returned. I had stolen that precious thing and replaced it with something in abundance with me. I had stolen the Child’s childhood and sowed the seeds of hate. I could now be happy!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis