Be Yourself:

I am a huge fan of Tom Morello. Though I am still heartbroken about the break up of RATM, I still follow Tom. And since Audioslave is the conglomeration of some great musicians including Chris Cornell, I did decide to check out some of their songs. A particular song caught my attention, "Be Yourself". And it was more than the music and the lyrics that I found very distinct. In addition to the fantastic guitar wizardry of Tom and the extraordinary vocals of Chris, I found the title of the song, very very interesting.

Ever since we are born, we are told to compare our lives with someone else's. Why can't you study like your brother? Why can't you play like your friend? So on and so forth. And the story continues as we grow up. Always living a life that does not belong to us. The temptation though still exits, doesn't it? The temptation to Be Yourself.



It took me several years before I gathered the guts to write something up. And that mess of words was so horrible, I deleted it after a week, ashamed. But it gave me the guts to venture in a land I would not even dare to put a step on. I had crossed the line. I had found a way to be myself and not bother about it. But the struggle had not ended there. I had to struggle with my inner demons which made we write popular stuff before I ditched it all to write about exactly what is in my mind.

So many of my colleagues complain about not being happy with what they are doing. And I ask them, what is it exactly that they want to do for which they have no answers. But at some point of time, we need to know what we want to do with our everyday rigmarole called life. There is a difference between living and being alive. But we are just too busy being alive, working, eating, partying but never finding what we really want. And that is because most of us do not know what we want.

Most of us are just too afraid of being ourselves. It does not make sense for a guy well settled in a job to step out and sell vegetables. Neither does it make sense for someone to quit his regular job and take up something else. The entire world was critical when Dave Grohl traded the drums for the guitar. And today, Foo Fighters is one of the biggest rock acts around the world. The world will always be critical, because most of the critics would never have ventured out to try out and be themselves.

So my friends, just step out and be yourself. Do something that defines who you are and don't be bothered about what the world has to say. Because the world will always talk, it's upto you to take what is yours. Always remember to live and not just be alive. Be yourself...just be yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis