Give a damn someone...

It's been five years since I have been writing. And I have been getting better by the day. One of the abilities that I have been especially proud of has been my ability to rhyme. I might not be as good as Eminem but I am still better than most of the others. And my verses however silly have been able to bring a smile to the lips of people I have written them for.

I recently decided to put up  my verses online where not just the incumbents but everyone would be able to enjoy them. And surprise! No one seems to be interested. It takes more effort than writing about a recipe, writing a peom. With all the rhymes, working together to bring meaning to the fore, the abstract materializing into emotions and feelings, the real essence of poetry emerges from the corners of the words.



But now comes the best part. Just a handful ever understand poetry. Isnt it so ironic? People would love an article I write about inter racial dating and argue and discuss over it. But no one has time to discuss the nuances of poetry. Its all the same to them. Ladies would love poetry written for them but would never try to understand what it really means. People love the words I write about the world but no one would like to read them again. A movie review or a phone review would generate more interests.

I now very well understand the angst and the anger of abstract artists. So few actually understand or even try to understand the real meaning behind the brush strokes. Likewise for poetry. Simple poetry is hated because it is not complex enough to be poetry. Complex poetry is too difficult for the simple minds to understand. I do keep the faith and I do try to keep my spirits up when I write.

But in the end, I guess it will be just for me to read. I wonder how the voracious appetite for information has been so detrimental to the fine arts. Noone appreciates a good painter on the streets anymore because he isn't existing on Facebook. Noone cares about the talented casual writer because he doesn't have a marketing campaign on twitter. And nobody gives a damn about a silly poet who doesn't have a huge list of followers on his blog.

I hope and I pray that one of these days someone or at least God will wake up to the plight of people who write or who paint or who can sing or who can play. And maybe someday, the internet would not just be an information seeking medium but also a place where people can really appreciate art and share it too. Someday some body will give a damn...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis